Thursday, June 14, 2012

Splash du Jour: Thursday

"I didn't take lessons, and I don't know my scales."
-- Lindsey Buckingham --
A few months ago, I rediscovered my love of Fleetwood Mac. My friend and I watched the 1997 concert DVD The Dance about ten times, and together realized that Lindsey Buckingham is one of the best guitarists out there. Truly amazing.
Just yesterday I discovered that Mr. Buckingham is going to be in my city on Sept.7th for an outdoor concert, at Folk Fest.
I will definitely be in attendance, maybe with my equally enamored friend.
If you are under the age of…. 40? -- and unfamiliar with this guy's work, I cannot think of a better song to leave you with than I'm So Afraid, from The Dance DVD.
The guy refuses to play with a pick. It just boggles the mind. Take the seven minutes to listen to this song, and stay with it, the real guitar solo doesn't get going until about the four minute mark…

Have a great Thursday!
*****

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your homie and I and the boys saw them live here in Ottawa some years back but it's still the very best concert we've been to so far. The boys were blown away by his guitar work and by their all around energy. We were so pleased to have allowed our sons to discover this group. Such talent!
We also have this DVD and watch it regularly.
C.

Anonymous said...

Hey, he's playing" watermelons in hay" backwards? Genius!

Anonymous said...

You are so right.I played this backwards on my IPhone and it is that soft frank zappa tune. Cool.

Libby said...

Great post! I am (of course) a Fleetwood Mac fan from back in the day!

I actually came over to give you this article on Hitch!

http://www.city-journal.org/2012/22_2_diarist-christopher-hitchens.html