Saturday, October 22, 2011

Two Needed Shout-Outs

Hello, dear Blogfriends.
I've had a week of advancing the technology in my apartment. Thanks to my dear friend who visited me [without whom none of this would have been possible] I succeeded in taking a giant leap into the 21st Century, media and entertainment wise. It would be a long and possibly boring story, but suffice it to say I have the most incredible sight and sound system here now, along with effortless access to ENDLESS music and movies.
Other than the necessity of going to work, I'm never going to want to leave my place! Admittedly, I'll still sit at Starbucks for a bit after work, but beyond this -- I have the perfect penthouse environment here. Why would I want to be anywhere else?
Thank you, Trev.

Secondly -- I have also been reading some terrific books.
An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin. This novel was a surprisingly good read. I say "surprisingly" because Mr. Martin wears so many hats other than that of author, the tendency to have misgivings [as I did] about this particular one fitting his head is [I think] forgivable. But this book, a sort of romantic comedy about the inner intricacies of the art world, the foibles of its practitioners, from collectors to patrons, buyers and sellers, and the artists themselves -- it all works. I found it a thoroughly enjoyable, believable, humorous, well-drawn, never-boring journey.
After this, I devoured Jose Saramago's final novel. It's called Cain.
It sincerely saddens me to realize that no more work shall flow from his mind and fingers. This book is a classically Saramagian irreverent look at several events of the Old Testament, following the imagined adventures of Cain, son of Adam and Eve and legendary slayer of his brother Abel. Much as he did with the New Testament in The Gospel According to Jesus Christ, Saramago cuts a swath through accepted orthodox renditions of biblical legends. Some readers may find his ideas sacrilegious, [or blasphemous] while others [like myself] find them illuminating, in the sense that they make one realize the unreasonableness of a literal interpretation of most aspects of the Bible. For instance, Cain points out to God and Noah as the ark is under construction that such a monstrous wooden Titanic would not physically raise itself [would lack buoyancy] when gradually surrounded by cumulative rain water. God then realizes his blunder and employs 300 angels to set the completed ship on the ocean when the time is right.
Written in Saramago's inimical unconventional style, this book is a gem. I highly recommend it. Both of these books I have mentioned were sent to me as a gift from my wonderful reading partner.
Thank you, Lynne.

So, a night of thankfulness here at my new up-to-date apartment as I watch and listen to a surround-sound David Gilmour concert in high-definition…

*******

6 comments:

Shark said...

I guess now I know whose house I'm going to to watch all the big sporting matches and payperview movies, election coverage, war coverage, televised concerts, et cetera....

Beth said...

Welcome to the world of high tech!
Don’t become a recluse...

Cipriano said...

Hey Shark, so good to hear from you.
Yes, hey, we'll have to get together and watch a movie or a war in progress or something -- drink beer and chat.

Beth: It's too late! I have already been a recluse for a long long time! But now I will be a recluse that is better connected to the outside world... the world out there! The "Wild Wood" as the animals in The Wind In The Willows would call it...

Stefanie said...

Sounds like you have a great techno set up now. Was having to move all those books worth it? I just saw last week that there is a new Saramago. Sad that there will be no more. I finished Death with Interruptions on Saturday. Awesome! But then you knew that already :)

Cipriano said...

Stefanie -- it actually was worth all the book-moving work, yes. I am so happy with my new set-up now. I purchased "Apple TV" which allows me to watch Netflix and Podcasts and Vimeo and wirelessly streams video and iTunes and whatnot else from my Mac-Pro laptop. CRAZY AWESOME!
Plus [maybe the best thing] my new surround sound set-up from Polk Audio is fantastic. If I turned the thing up full blast I would surely be evicted immediately!
Vive le sub-woofer!

Anonymous said...

Turn it up, then. Be evicted. I know where you can take shelter if you get ousted.

Someone's basement?

Just suggestin'....