Saturday, April 02, 2011

The Three L's





As I explained a while ago, I'm experiencing a bit of a dry spell when it comes to blogging. And even, reading.
A mixture of laziness, lethargy… and lager.
But I would be remiss if I neglected to mention that last night I went to the Joe Bonamassa concert. It was NOT disappointing.
He is one of my favourite guitarists ever -- his genre is mostly blues a la straight-ahead rock. I took a ton of videos with my new iPod and there are so many to choose from… such great music -- but instead of music at all, I've chosen a brief clip of one of the rare moments that Mr. Bonamassa actually spoke to the audience.
Since he mentions one of my own most favourite establishments in the Universe, I felt I must share this with you…



I am the guy screaming "Yes" right after the word "corner".
And I feel compelled to say that I am NOT the guy that yells out "I like chai lattes!"
Every moment of this concert was incredible. But here is a clip I uploaded to Youtube today. It's from his acoustic solo set.
It may be a bit of an exaggeration to be calling him The Greatest Guitarist in the World -- but if Joe Bonamassa isn't… I wonder who is?


3 comments:

Sam said...

Very cool, Cip.

Did anyone notice that you were shooting video? Some artists make a big deal about it and really try to stop it happening...others don't seem to care.

I've been shooting concert footage for some time now and have never been hassled but I always try to know the "rules" going in. If it's prohibited, I just get a little sneakier...smaller camera, etc.

Looks like the iPod does a nice job. With so many small cameras in existence these days, I'd say it's a losing battle for venues to try to stop filming from happening.

Cipriano said...

Sam, so good to hear from you.
Yeah, I was actually quite amazed at how much no one cared where I wandered with my camera.... like it is actually hilarious. We had terrific tickets and my friend and I never once sat in our seats. We just wandered all over the place -- as you can see there I am right at the sound board area.... and also way up just a few rows back.
No one ever deterred me from nearl-constant filming.
At my last concert [Roger Waters] it was as you say. I had to really hide the camera... security people were constantly telling me I can't film anything.
The iPod is much better than my actual camera. I guess it has the same capability as the iPhone [HD and all] which is totally terrific clarity. This particular concert [Bonamassa] was VERY dark for lighting, hence -- no camera in the world could have got a real nice clear shot. I find it is still sort of grainy, here.
Cheers!

Sam said...

Interesting, Cip. What I really hate are the venues that search you on the way in and insist on holding your camera for you until the event is over. I just don't spend my money at those.

I've posted over 70 videos to YouTube, although I doubt you will recognize any of the names. If you're interested, just do a search on "samhouston23" and you'll find them. It's a great way to capture memories that would otherwise be lost forever.