Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Splash du Jour: Wednesday

My parental role had largely been confined to providing a good life, teasing the kids at the table, leaving Miriam to settle disputes, and, oh yes, putting together those libraries after I had consulted Miriam. "When a child is born," I once explained to the kids, "some dads lay down bottles of wine for them that will mature when they grow up into ungrateful adults. Instead, what you're going to get from me, as each of you turns sixteen, is a library of the one hundred books that gave me the most pleasure when I was a know-nothing adolescent."
-- Mordecai Richler, Barney's Version --


Have a great Wednesday!
*******

2 comments:

Merisi said...

That is a great quote! :-)

Melwyk said...

I wonder what 100 books would be in Mordecai Richler's own library of choice? I am fairly certain I would have read none of them ;)