Thursday, August 12, 2010

Missing The Mark

It is always difficult to move away from a book that you really enjoyed [ie., The French Lieutenant Guy's Woman by John Fowles] and pick up another directly afterwards.
I mean, the next book has to sort of compete with the chemical rush of the last one, right!
The synapses are all firing on that previous level!
The book I am currently reading [The Purest of Human Pleasures] is good, I don't want to 'diss it, necessarily, but it just ain't as good as the last one!
Have you ever read a book that was supposed to be so good [a real "Award-Winner"] and then the thing really missed the mark with YOU, as a reader? I have. Several times.
But perhaps never moreso than with this one book I am about to mention -- I hope I don't offend any fans of Gunter Grass, but seriously, I thought the book The Tin Drum [a Nobel Prize-Winner?] was not enjoyable at all. Just…. not GOOD.
I couldn't finish it, which is a very rare phenomenon for me.
I once wrote a more detailed diatribe against it --> HERE.
What would be a book, for you, that was "all the rage" and just made you want to "tear the page"?

********

2 comments:

Wanderer said...

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson missed the mark for me. It won the 2005 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and I was eager to read it. I can't even remember, now, why I didn't like it. I, too, don't often leave a book unfinished but I did this one. I just couldn't get through it. I wonder whether it was just not the right time or frame of mind for me. I thought about trying Gilead again but - alas - there are too many other books stacked on my nightstand...and more on my mental list.

Cipriano said...

Very interesting, Wanderer.
I also read Gilead, and you know what?
It did not do much for me.

Then again -- what can one say of "prizes"?
Who judges these things?
I have submitted poetry to certain contests, and have not won anything.
Then I've read the winning entry.
No wonder I have a bald spot on the top of my head... that's where I scratch -- time after time -- after reading the results.