Sunday, March 14, 2010

Tragedy / Recovery

Well, it’s been an interesting couple of days in Bookpuddle-land.

Right after work on Friday I went to my favorite Starbucks at the Southkeys Chapters [you know the place]. Sat down and read some latter portions of Salinger’s Seymour: An Introduction while waiting for the lineup at the coffee counter to diminish. I hate standing in lineups for anything.

Ahhh… finally got my steaming hot coffee and sat down to resume my reading. But first I thought I’d boot up my computer and let it idle on the table in case I got inspired at any moment to write a Pulitzer Prize-winning blog.

Reached for the coffee -- SPLOOSH – the cup tipped over, drenching my beloved Mac’s innocent keyboard. I instantly said several curse words and tipped the choking laptop upside down, coffee spilling all over the place. In those moments there is no care for public decorum – I just kept swearing and stuff.

But, well, needless to say, it did permanent damage. I won’t go on about it.

Hence, the very next day [yesterday] I was in the Apple store, purchasing this new laptop that you see in the photo – spent all of last night transferring data from the old soggy Mac onto this new one, via the use of an external keyboard and mouse and the technical wizardry of my friend. On my own I could never accomplish this computer transition. I would have just gone and jumped off a bridge somewhere.

But I am slowly getting used to the newness of this wonderful machine – so stay tuned!

*******

5 comments:

Alyce said...

Your new computer looks fabulous! Sorry to hear about the loss of the old one though.

Megan said...

I just got a new Dell laptop in January, and I live in fear of something being dumped on it. It must be one of the worst nightmares of the laptop owners everywhere. Sounds like a dreadful ordeal, but here's hoping you enjoy the new one (and keep your coffee far from it...hehe).

Stefanie said...

Isn't that a rather dramatic way of having an excuse to upgrade? ;)Enjoy your pretty new laptop and keep the coffee far away from it!

May said...

Don't be too hard on yourself: it is a pretty common accident. It won't happen to me because I never drink and read/write at the same time.

Melwyk said...

Yikes! Glad to hear you have a wizardly friend who could take care of the data transfer, and now you must take good care of that pretty new machine. (am so jealous!)