Thursday, May 14, 2009

Splash du Jour: Thursday

In childhood when you wake in the night it's often to fear; in adolescence it's to the engorging ache of lust. In adulthood, in the wee small hours, even a happy man or woman wakes troubled, and at first, before the full return of identity and causation, the feeling is sourceless and absorbing, as if part of a cosmic sadness every adult sleeper taps into. Wo bin ich? Where am I?
-- Steven Heighton, Afterlands

As for me, I tend to wake up in the middle of the night and want a hamburger!
At any rate, this book Afterlands, I am reading it right now and I’m telling you friends, I cannot put it down, it’s that terrific.


Have a great Thursday!
**********

4 comments:

kingmonkey said...

When I wake up in the middle of the night, it's usually because my pregnant wife has to pee.

Cipriano said...

Sometimes I also wake up to the sound of my cat hacking over yonder... extruding yet another late-hairball!

Melwyk said...

So many reasons to wake at night...

But, as to Afterlands -- I thought it was fantastic as well. Hope you are enjoying it, and look forward to your thoughts on it when you're done.

Cipriano said...

Melanie, yes... I am at a Starbucks right now, reading away!
Into the last 3/4's of this excellent book!