Saturday, May 12, 2007

Neanderthal Poetry 4 U...


Cavemirth


If I could observe prehistoric cavepeople
The hunt would not interest me (stalking
A saber-tooth until it gets stuck between their teeth).

Nor would the scene where they copulate
In some drippy, echoing vault
And slurp primordial soup afterwards.

Spare me the Olympic-style trot
Toward the world’s first barbecue,
Lightning sticks held aloft.

Steer me instead, to the first joke.
Let me try to decipher a Neanderthal punchline.
Was it a pre-planned gag?
Or just a mastodon tripping over a log
As it stomped past the lounging knuckledraggers?

I want to see them fall off their rocks
Banging their shaggy heads in the dust,
Roaring in perfect English, and
Crying, it hurts so good.
I want to see the first kneeslapper.

© Ciprianowords Inc. 2007

4 comments:

Beth said...

Not only is this poem good (the images, choice of words, the fact it made me smile, etc.) but it amazes me that you came up with such a thought. I read it and I'm saying, "Yeah, what was the first kneeslapper the "knuckledraggers" ever had?"
But I'd never have come up with that question on my own.

Cipriano said...

Thank you, Beth.
Poetry, it's a gift. It's a gift, recognized shortly after I was dropped as a baby!
I have always loved to write. Even since before I could write.
-- Cip

Merisi said...

Billy Collins.
I have to look for that poem. :-)
(Thanks for your sweets comments on my blog, I am having a little trouble these days finding the time and energy to put something together. Got pictures aplenty, but little time. Tomorrow Salzburg.)
Have a great sunday,
Merisi

Bybee said...

I've been off of poetry for a while, but I really like this one!