Monday, November 13, 2006

Splash du Jour: Monday

Vimy Memorial -- Arras, France
Q. Did you want to be in the war?
A. Yes.
Q. Were you crazy?
A. Yes, we were crazy, but we didn’t know it.
Q. Did you have any idea what it was going to be like?
A. No, we didn’t have any idea of what it was going to be like.
Q. What did you think war was?
A. An adventure. We never thought about being killed, you know. I thought I was going to be able to come home and tell everyone about it. It never entered my mind that I might not come back. We wanted to get to it as fast as we could, because it might be over before we got there.
-- Interview with Vimy veteran Leslie Hadd, aged 86, August 25, 1986 –

There should never be a day that is not Remembrance Day.

Have a great Monday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter is going to Vimy Ridge next year for the 90th Anniversary celebrations (a trip of a life time). Along with 3600 of her peers from accross Canada, they will be participating in a ceramony that many dignitaries such as the Queen of England, Primen Minister of Canada and France along with thousands of Canadian Veterans. Each of the 3600 Canadian students will be wearing a WWI uniform with the name of a Canadian vet that died at Vimy! They also are doing research on their vet and Vimy as well. It is these kind of experiences that will help the generations to come to remember the sacrafice so many have made for freedom and our country.

R&R

Cipriano said...

That is just CRAZY!
Can I go, too? Can I can I can I?
Oh I really would love to visit the place.