Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Poe Shadow

“It was a dark and foggy night…..”
No, no, you will not see that kind of cliché sentence anywhere in Matthew Pearl’s latest novel, The Poe Shadow.
But you will follow the protagonist, young attorney Quentin Clark, into many a dark and foggy night!
Man, the trouble this guy gets himself into! And all of it a result of his indefatigable quest to unravel the mysterious unanswered questions surrounding the final week of Edgar Allen Poe’s life.
Clark, a great fan of Poe’s work, had established a correspondence by letter with the writer. One dreary Baltimore day [October 8th, 1849] he happens upon “the saddest funeral ever seen.” [← Cue first installment of rolling fog]. Unbeknownst to our hero, the funeral is Poe’s own.
Clark, suspecting foul-play in the events surrounding Poe’s demise, is soon entangled in a mesh of intrigue that threatens to destroy every aspect of his former existence. He sifts through a churning sea of spurious information, obvious lies and half-truths. 18 months later, his untiring quest to find out what really happened to Poe takes Clark to Paris, where he discovers two men who claim to be the real-life inspiration [or prototype] of Poe’s fictional detective, C. Auguste Dupin.
One of these, [the one Clark himself believes to be the real one] returns with him to Baltimore to work on the case. By recreating the events through a collage of newspaper clippings and the use of Poe’s method of “ratiocination”*[see below] they continue to search through all available clues.
All the while, the second man, claiming to be the real C. Auguste Dupin, resurfaces. And his presence injects a ripping good twist of fog-laden doppelgangerism into an already labyrinthian tale!
We want to believe that Clark knows what he is doing, and we want him to succeed in his [oft-bungling] efforts, but we are never really sure of how it will all turn out. We are never quite sure of who is who…. who is helping, or who is hindering Clark in his investigations.

As I began the book, I wondered if I would have to be a Poe expert [which BTW, I am not] to truly enjoy it. I felt the same way when I began reading his debut novel, The Dante Club.
My conclusion is the same on both counts.
No.
Matthew Pearl is far too fine of an author to hinge the accessiblity of his work on the esoteric expertise of his readers.
There would be very few among us who are as well-versed as Pearl is, in either Dante or Poe. And he knows this. His books, couched as they are in actual historicity, are nonetheless so self-contained and self-explanatory that really, all that is left to do is read and enjoy.
Having said all of that, there is no doubt that a true-blue Poe enthusiast would be reading a different book here, than someone with a casual interest in Poe. There is a lot in The Shadow that depends upon a reader's awareness of the Poe tradition. Knowing it definitely helps see what Pearl is attempting to get across.
Allusions abound!
I found myself, several times, cross-referencing Poe poems and stories and re-reading many of these to get a better sense of Pearl’s story. Such activity may not appeal to all readers, but for someone as far gone as myself, any excuse to learn more about great literature is a valid and readily accepted one.

I hate to say the next thing, because it is placing a preferential evaluation upon two experiences of excellence.
Yet, I think that The Dante Club is a better book, overall, than this one.
Having said that, The Poe Shadow is a book that belongs in the hands of every lover of mystery. All lovers of well-written literature. Every person that loves to squint and try to catch some vanishing detail about that presence in the fog, up ahead.
Get your own copy of The Poe ShadowHERE.

* Ratiocination. NOUN. The act of deliberate, calculated reasoning through the imagination and spirit; the intimate observation and forecasting of the complexities in human activity, especially the frequent simplicity in that activity. Not interchangeable with mere “calculus” or “logic.”
-- From page 111, The Poe Shadow --

***********

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review. I loved Dante Club - the way it combined history and allusions to Longfellow and Holmes and Dante with a good, fast paced mystery. After reading your review of the Poe, I think I will have to go out and buy this one as well.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your review.
I wondered if a person would have to have read Poe to understand the book.
Does Pearl ever actually uncover the mystery of Poe's death? I think I read somewhere that someone still puts flowers on his Baltimore grave on his birthday at midnight.
I'm definitely adding this book to my wish list.

Cipriano said...

Anonymous #1. Your use of the term "fast paced" in regards to The Dante Club may be the very thing that causes me to prefer it a bit more over this current book. At times, The Shadow seemed maybe a trifle tedious and I bogged down a bit in the story's flow. It wasn't until the very endpages that I pieced together some of the major international political connections in the story. This informational reticence is what makes for a good mystery/thriller, but it's just that in this case I felt a bit left behind, I must admit, and this never happened when I read the Dante book.

Anonymous #2. My review is actually quite sparse. There is so much I am not saying because I would rather not reveal in a review any of the more intricate aspects of the plot. It is far more convoluted and basically twisty than I am letting on here. Your question about whether Pearl actually uncovers the mystery of Poe's death is a good one. To me, the final summation of it all does seem very believable the way it is presented by Quentin Clark. I am not sure though, I think the jury is still out on a rock-solid chronology of [the real] Poe's last days.
About the modern-day placement of flowers on the Baltimore grave, there are several stories about the phenomenon, and here is one such account. Because I am so techno-backwards I do not know how to create a clickable link for it here in this comment area, but what I am referring to is found by simply Googling "flowers on Poe's grave" and then clicking on the first item shown, which is a story from Fox News.
All the best to you. Happy reading!
-- Cip

Cipriano said...

P.S.
Dear Reader[s] of My Previous Comment:
If you are going to do that Google search for the story, do not use quotation marks surrounding the term flowers on Poe's grave, as I did when explaining how to find the story. If you use the quotation marks, your search will be too specific and your browser will not take you to the Fox story I am referring to.
[I wish I could remember how to provide links in the comments area of blogger.]
-- Cip, The Non-Techno Savvy Neanderthal

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your...detailed...analysis of how to arrive at the Poe-Fox site. I navigated it with great success.
I see I left out some of the more important specifics...the flowers were roses (of course they were) and there was cognac involved...(of course there was.)

So the plot is "convoluted and basically twisty," is it?
Hmmmm, yes. I like the sound of that.

Keep up the great work here. You have a distinctive voice and an always delightful style.
(Nice podcast too, by the way.)

Groupie

Anonymous said...

For those who like reading about Poe ish topics, read "Return to the House of Usher" based on Poe's decendance.

Anonymous said...

(Appropriately, you seem to be getting a buildup of Anonymous doppelgangers, here, cipriano.)

Hello, Anonymous, the Latter:

Unless I am mistaken, Poe actually had no descendants. His cousins had children, but not Edgar.
Are you suggesting that Robert Poe, the author of the book you name, is a relative?

A direct descendant?

Or that the fictional story "Return to the House of Usher" tells a fictional tale of Poe's descendants?

Kids who are interested in Poe might enjoy Avi's "The Man Who Was Poe."
Great fun.
Nothing beats the primary source though.
Poe is inimitable.