Thursday, April 27, 2006

Surfacing

Perhaps one day, [but not today] I will divulge the story of why the following book review is the most important one I have ever written.

Margaret Atwood’s second novel (1972), Surfacing.

On the exterior many lives are impetuously lived, in constant motion, constant flux, demanding change... while on the inside, important wheels have long since stopped turning. Crucial questions languish, not so much from being already answered as from never having been asked. Another type of person floats along fairly steady, and constant diversion is not really an issue... but on the inside, they are a whirligig. Always asking and re-asking, backpedalling, and here in the unseen realm the action is taking place, like a duck's feet underwater.
The nameless protagonist in Atwood's Surfacing is of this latter variety, contemplative and introspective. Together with three friends of the former type of personality (a married couple and her boyfriend Joe), these four drive off into the remote Quebec wilderness for a few days of R & R. This whirligig character however, has a far greater purpose in mind. She is returning here to her childhood home in search of her father who has mysteriously vanished without a trace. While these other three suntan, fish, and bicker, she is on a quest that calls forth a recollection of her entire upbringing and childhood. We sense that if she finds her father at all, it will be in a way that is as surprising to the reader as it will be to herself.
She's a great character. If it wasn't for her the others would seemingly starve to death, seated at the table and surrounded by victuals but unaware of how to prepare lunch. She's the organizer, the fish-filleter, the decision-maker... hourly explaining to her friends what will happen next. She is the individual who surfaces, thinks for herself, and finds an identity within. In stark contrast are her friends who seem to only find sustenance in the pieces they can bite off of each other and ingest.
As in so much of Atwood's work, these men are soon to reveal their inherent nasty dogness. On two occasions Whirligig avoids being (essentially) raped by each of them only by reminding them that it is "the right time" for her to get pregnant. But she is not a heroine without her own foibles. She realizes her own problems, the greatest of which may be her her inability to return the "love" that has been offered her throughout her life. Her detached coldness. But the importance in becoming whole (self-actualized?) may lie right there in this word "realizing", which, in the case of this novel MAY be synonymous with the word "surfacing". Throughout the book a central question seems to repeat itself... what does it mean to love? What if I don't "feel" love when someone says "I love you"? What does it mean to love one's past, one's history? To love your parents, your self... to love your lovers. And what does it mean to withdraw, to UTTERLY withdraw? These are the kind of meaty questions that surface in this book, brilliantly written and permeated with dark symbolism and a misty/ethereal 70's New-Ageyness to it. In Atwoodland, anything and everything can be a talisman.
"It's true, I am by myself; this is what I wanted, to stay here alone. From any rational point of view I am absurd; but there are are no longer any rational points of view." Is Whirligig sane or insane on the last page? Surfacing or submerged? The author leaves the verdict in the hands of the reader.

I enjoyed meeting Margaret Atwood at a reading one wintry night at the Chateau Laurier, and having her sign my copy of Surfacing [the very one shown above, a first edition] on behalf of my reading partner. Atwood was [to me], swan-like in her elegance, and so patient and attentive [as I gushed forth in my oblations] even though the lineup behind me was at least three miles long.
When she saw the book, she said "Oh how nice, a first edition."
I fainted, and then when I awoke, she personalized my Oryx and Crake.
She remains my favorite female author, along with Alice Munro and Jane Urquhart.
What is it with these Canadian girls?

For a bit more of my Atwood Adoration....

*************

5 comments:

Stefanie said...

You have a first edition? Signed? I am so jealous!

I think Surfacing is one of Atwood's best books. Very powerful and terrifying in the way we follow Whirligig's progression (regression?) into insanity/sanity. It is one of the most tense books I have ever read. I was always on edge because I never knew what was going to happen next. I read it about 10 years ago. Maybe it's time for a re-read.

Cipriano said...

Stefanie:
No, I got my first edition signed for my friend, and sent it to her.

It is a great book, it really is.
But... I am not sure I have ever read a bad Atwood book. She is just so consistently good.
As I consider it though, her Oryx & Crake is maybe the one book that impressed me the least. But even so, I liked it. And I LOVE her.

Stefanie said...

You are so nice to have done that for a friend!

I wasn't that impressed with Oryx and Crake either. There was something missing from it that I can't put my finer on. Still, like you, I liked it anyway, and count myself with you as among her adoring fans.

Isabella K said...

I need to reread Surfacing. It was required reading in highschool and got bogged down in all sorts of tedious symbolism. Still, it led me to read other Atwood, so it's worth something.

Cipriano said...

isabella:
Confession.
I too, need to re-read this book. I really do. There is so much to the thing.
Another book I desperately need to re-read is The Great Gatsby.
The reason for re-reading Atwood is because I liked it so much, and wonder why.
The reason for re-reading Fitzy is because I did NOT like it very much, and wonder why.