Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Splash du Jour: Tuesday

I, along with millions of other Canadians, watched the Leadership Debate on TV last night.
That’s all I will say.
I will let someone much wiser than me say the rest...

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism.
-- Carl Sagan

Have a great Tuesday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I always loved Carl Sagan. Great quote.

Me, I could not bear to watch the debate. I would rather have stuck needles in my eyes. Would have been much less painful.

Anonymous said...

Well, I suppose it should give me some sort of perverse comfort that the political machinations in another country are as aggravating to their citizens as ours is to me. Where are the brave, intelligent leaders? In the US, I despair of there ever again being a "person" of the people leading the country. It's all truly "politics" fueled by parties who are so busy trying to make the other look bad the real needs of the people are forgotten. Example? We've cut money for grants for university education but by golly when the airwaves all have to go digital in a couple years every home will receive 2 $40 vouchers to buy a converter so they can continue to watch the idiot box...Heaven help us...