Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Bananafish!

You may be wondering what that word in the Blog Title means.
Actually, it is my favorite curse word.
It is the one I used when my laptop conked out on me yesterday.
Just kidding. Most of you will know that it is part of the title of a famous short story by J.D. Salinger.
A Perfect Day For Bananafish.
On this very day in 1948, the story first appeared in The New Yorker.
58 years ago.
Today it can be found in the collection entitled Nine Stories, which is a book I am going to highly recommend to you if this stupid Library computer will let me post this blog without deleting it as it has done three times now.
Before reading Nine Stories I was only familiar with Salinger's Catcher In The Rye and Franny and Zooey, so I am no expert on his work, per se. But I know enough to know what I like, and I must say, these stories seemed very.... Salingeresque.
Which is to say, wonderful.
I must highly recommend them, as being stories that will somewhere, at some point, touch something deep within any reader. They will resonate.
What confounds me, what astounds me, is how Salinger takes such mundane (seemingly mundane) vignettes, and then just rips them, tears them.... somewhere among the final lines of each.
Provides just that little wee twist. These aren't "mysteries" per se. Yet, they are, in that each goes much beyond what it says. They are mysteries.
Nine EXPERIENCES!
Nine believeable HIDDEN CAMERAS..... tape-recordings (the dialogue is utterly superb). Each story will leave you with personal "hmmmmms" to ponder. In my opinion.... a great book for book clubs, really. Much discusssion to follow each installment, even though the stories are so OLD! They are TIMELESS!
I once said that Flannery O'Connor was the greatest 20th Century short-story-teller. After reading these, I am not so sure! I honestly think Salinger surpasses her work, in relevance, in cadence. Everything here is definitely timeless.... read it now today, or 58 years from now, it's going to be every bit as meaningful and wonderful.
My favorites? For Esme - With Love And Squalor, followed by A Perfect Day For Bananafish, and Teddy.... in no apparent order. De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period was also beautiful. Fantastic.
Hell, why don't I just say they are all great!
How can anyone even categorize such work? Each is a masterpiece in itself.
I loved all nine.
Best wishes to you all.

1 comment:

JoanneMarie Faust said...

I preferred Catcher in the Rye to this one. Nine Stories was so foreign to me. I don't necessarily need to relate to the characters. I enjoy Hemingway, but I certainly don't relate to any of them. It may be that the 1950's-ish bored, rich New Yorker always armed with a cigarette and a scotch was someone I not only couldn't relate to, but was someone I didn't particularly care for. But, that's just me. I always like to hear more from people who disagree with me about books.