Monday, December 05, 2005

Splash du Jour: Monday

I have it on good report that Joan Didion’s recent memoir entitled The Year of Magical Thinking, ["You sit down to dinner and life as you know it ends"] is definitely worth reading.
Today, this brilliant novelist, essayist, and interpreter of the American experience celebrates her 71st birthday. She was born in Sacramento, California – 1934.

To have that sense of one's intrinsic worth which constitutes self-respect is potentially to have everything: the ability to discriminate, to love and to remain indifferent. To lack it is to be locked within oneself, paradoxically incapable of either love or indifference.
--- Joan Didion ---

Have a great Monday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear."
- Didion