Thursday, November 17, 2005

Splash du Jour: Thursday

Today’s Splash du Jour is a potential job opportunity!

Sales Position Available
Shakespeare and company is looking for a sales person to work at the desk, help customers, distribute deliveries and organise literary events. The position requires applicants to speak both English and French. It is also desirable that the sales person will have previous experience in bookseling and a solid knowledge of literature. If interested please email your CV to:
sylvia@shakespeareco.org

On this very day, Nov.17th, 1919, Sylvia Beach opened the doors of Shakespeare and Company, the first combination English-language bookshop and lending library in Paris.
I want a job there.
I want a job there.
I want a job there.

Have a great Thursday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely desire - to work for Shakespeare and Company.

Someone like Sylvia Beach might even publish your work, Cipriano.

After all, she stuck her neck out with that bawdy James Joyce.

American women.
Brazen.

Let me know if you need help with a resume.

I say go for it.

Cipriano said...

Thank you for the encouragement. I think I may need help on spiffing up the ol' resume department.
Like, my French is the issue here.... we've gotta make me look bilingually multifluent when in reality, my grasp of the language is, mmmm, how do you say it "tres un peu ne bien pas?"
I'm really good with doors and windows, "Ouvrez la porte" and "fermez le fenetre." I could get by if customers could just do nothing else but open doors and close windows.

Can you imagine me actually working there, though? Climbing a ladder to the high "F" section and retrieving Madame Bovary for a Parisian customer?
I hand them the book, and say "Yeah, that Gus Flobbert is something else!"

Sylvia would look over and give me the ol' Donald Trump heave-ho "You're fired."